Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mammogram X3

Another mammogram, Thankfully not too many women my age have to deal with getting a mammogram. Actually, truthfully of the cancer screening options, Mammograms are probably my favorite, you don't have to be poked or cut open, you don't even have to be injected or drink anything radio active. Really, it could be worse.

after I checked in I sat in the first waiting room and sent Cameron a text telling him that I was in the same building as him, of course before he could actually get to where I was they called me and escorted me to the "women only" waiting room. Where I watched the room fill, and empty again, then fill with a whole new set of patients and then empty again, after watching this cycle three times, I pulled aside a nurse and after determining that I was here for "diagnostic" and not a "screening" she let me know I was next on the list.

my name was called and the technician took x-rays from 2 different angles and then asked me to go back to the waiting room while the radiologist looked at the film to see if we needed to take any more. So back I went, and soon she came again, this time with a look of concern that immediately tied a knot in my stomach. she explained that there we 2 spots the radiologist was concerned about and we needed more pictures, so she took 2 more and this time had me wait in the room while the radiologist looked over the film in another room, she returned and told me she needed to take more pictures. She did and sent me back to the waiting room. By this point I'm a little freaked out so I call Cameron to let him know what's going on, He's pretty calm about it, which makes me feel a little better until a new technician calls me and takes me to a new room that's fully lit, which can only mean one thing, consult.

The Radiologist comes in and starts talking to me, I remember meeting him when we came out looking for housing and I met all the people that Cameron would be working with, nice guy. I totally don't remember anything he said except that everything looked fine, they just wanted to be sure because the first films had a few concerning spots but they were nothing... Thank Goodness.

I meet the Oncologist next week, when it will be continued.

3 comments:

cindave said...

thank goodness! you scared me! i'm SO GLAD everything looks good. congrats!!

KID, MD said...

Sounds scary, but I'm glad that they were thorough and that it all came out OK in the end.

Nana said...

Oh my heart is with you. I am so proud of you and how you've handled every single thing. What a journey! I'm grateful all's well, yes, yes, yes....your Aunt Gwyn is crazy about you and loves you so very much. Many hugs~