This past Wednesday they did the "big" ultra sound, That morning I got a call from my OBGYN letting me know that the blood work from my last appointment had come back positive for fifths disease and to be sure and let the doctor who would be doing the ultra sound know so that he could look to see how it had effected the babies, everything should be fine, worse case scenario the babies would need a blood transfusion, but that rarely happens.
So an hour later I casually mention to the ultra sound tech that my doctor wanted me to mention that I tested positive for fifths disease. so she quietly took picture after picture, measuring one thing after another, an hour later everyone cleared out of the room and we waited for the doctor who also happened to be the department head.
He starts explaining about how the fifth's disease has attacked both babies bone marrow and they are highly anemic and struggling to make enough red blood cells. they have enlarged hearts and extra fluid surrounding their organs, their condition is very serious but' it's possible that it will correct itself but if it doesn't it would be fatal. The only thing that can be done is a blood transfusion, they would attempt to give the babies blood by sticking a needle into a vein in each of their umbilical cords. risky on so many levels.
As he's talking more doctors file in, my OBGYN and the other department head. as they come in I become more nervous because I'm starting to understand the seriousness of this situation. and I keep thinking "this isn't right, he's suppose to tell us "congratulations, you're having a boy and a girl and they appear to be healthy and strong." and yet he goes on about blood clots and heart failure, not to mention the lack of red blood cells causing problems with brain development."
After more measurements are taken and options are discussed we decide to wait a few day to see if the babies recover on their own and then proceed with a blood transfusion if we need to at that point. and there is nothing I can do, nothing that I would eat or do would help the babies in anyway with this problem. We find out tomorrow how they are doing and until then I feel completely helpless.