Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Say good by to Adriamycin---or how ever that's spelled....

Yesterday I got my last round of Adriamycin sitting in the chemo chair, sipping on a cup of grape juice. I realized yesterday that every time I step into the hospital it gets worse. I feel a vague queasiness upon entering the building which intensifies as I make my way down to the labs room and becomes almost unbearable as I watch the Phlebotomist arrange the tubes and get the needles ready to collect a blood sample and place an IV in my port. I make vain efforts to remind myself that this part isn't what’s supposed to make me sick... I just can't help it, perhaps it's the association.
after getting the IV in my port I drag my sister Sarah over to the pharmacy and asked them to fill my prescription, I couldn’t remember what the drugs were called just that there were 3 or 4 of them and I needed to get them refilled. The man behind the counter wasn't thrilled about that but I think that as he noticed the stylish wrap/bandana on my head that he realized I must be one of the many patents suffering from Chemo brain. That explains a lot; like that I can't remember who I have or haven’t sent thank you cards to, or even who I've been on the phone with lately. it's suppose to go away about a year after I am through with chemo, but until then I would just like to apologize upfront for anything dumb I have done or am about to do.
Next stop was the breast clinic where I met with the oncologist… well actually this time I met with the nurse practitioner because Dr Ismail-khon didn’t have any appointments available. The plan of attack has been modified once again. The new plan is, I will have a three week break and then start the next type of Chemotherapy. It’s called Taxol. And it’s not supposed to be a server as the Adriamycin. I will have treatments on September 16th, 30th and October 14th and 28th and then I’m so done with Chemo! YEAH! Then another 3ish weeks and surgery and then radiation. And then I can start to put this all behind me… I think….

4 comments:

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

hang in there, elisabeth....glad to hear an update. it will be over before you know it.

glad that you have your sis with you! that always helps me....:)

Heidi said...

The BREAST clinic!! Whoohooo! I wanna go there, sounds fun!!

betsey said...

Don't worry about anything else but staying healthy! It is exciting that an end is in sight! You are doing great to stay so positive!!!

cindave said...

i'm so glad for an update! i think we can all cut you a little slack for the chemo brain thing, but for the record, you have not offended me in the slightest!