Monday, August 04, 2008

Katelyn's Reaction

It’s been a hard couple of days, I just don’t feel good, and there is the icky taste in my mouth that goes deeper then an aftertaste and it won’t go away. I try to eat or drink different things in hopes that it will hide the taste, it doesn’t. in fact that generally it makes it worse.


The day I shaved my head, the kids came home from the zoo excited and playful, they didn’t seem to notice that I had a wrap on my head, they were playing around pulling at my clothes with these toys they had gotten that have a tiger and flamingo head and you can open and close the mouth with a hand clamp thing. They started pulling at the wrap so I took it off, Katelyn, jumped back with a look of complete shock, fear and horror and almost burst into tears, “mommy, where did your hair go?” I pulled the cap back on and tried to give her a hug; she stepped away from me and pulled the cap off. “Mommy your hair is all gone.” as if maybe I didn't quite understand her first statement. Dallin just stared up at me with a look of concern on his face. I couldn’t take it, so I went to my room to have a good cry and I could hear Louise explaining that mommy is sick and the medicine she is taking made her hair come out. Katelyn soon followed me into the room took off my wrap, pat my head and said “mommy you just have short little hairs, shorter then daddy, it’s ok you are beautiful.”

9 comments:

betsey said...

I love Katelyn's empathy and understanding. Although she didn't initially understand, it is so sweet that she came into your room to tell you how beautiful you are! I am sure that the kids are learning a ton from this experience about empathy, love and understanding! What great children you are blessed with!

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

i bet this time is tough. i love that katelyn understood, and told you how beautiful you are and that she compared your hair to daddies hair! that is adorable. I am still amazed by your strength, you are such a wonderful example liz. love you, girl!!

Carrie said...

Kids are known for telling the truth, no matter how difficult, so I'm sure you can rest assured that what Katelyn said is true! Your posts have brought me to tears. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I feel as though I am living through this with you (even though I can't possibly come close to doing so). I am greatful for your example. Stay strong you are in my prayers.

Heidi said...

Oh my goodness, Elisabeth! I just read that and it made me cry. I can't believe how incredible you are. I'm increasingly amazed at your cheerfulness and ability to be so darned delightful, despite all of the terrible things happening to you. I love you oodles and you can call me anytime if you need someone to cry to. (Just don't ask me any questions about me, because good ned I can ramble on!) Love you!

cindave said...

hey elisabeth. you also made me cry. this must be so hard on everyone. but like everyone else has said, you are amazingly strong and beautiful, and obviously have some pretty great kids. katelyn is so sweet. and it only took a few days before they prefer you with no hair. hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Heavenly Father has sent you an amazing littel girl

Stephanie said...

Katelyn is such a sweety...I am sorry it hurt your feelings, but you really are beautiful bald!!

missing you..but I will see you Friday, I'll call you Thursday to talk!!

Mother 25 - 8 said...

You should publish that story Elisabeth! So sweet, so touching, even got a little chuckle. Wow.

Unknown said...

That's so very sweet. I love it when kids can be so tender and thoughtful. Apparently Katelyn's demeanor turned out like her Mommy's :) Not that Cameron's not sweet and all...