Wednesday, October 03, 2007

September update

We like our new place, since moving here our kids have forgotten how to walk, they run constantly, if they aren’t running they are dancing, jumping and “falling,” activities which have not gone unnoticed by those who live underneath us. I have tried to keep it under control but it’s impossible to reason with a one and a half year old and slightly less impossible to reason with an excited three year old.





We are getting use to the “neighborhood.” Everyone in our building seems to be nice. We did have a run in with some kids at the playground though, a brother and sister who looked to be ages 3 and 6 decided to pick on us, swearing, calling us names and throwing mulch at our car. Thankfully we have only run into them once and we haven’t had any encounter with their parents. There is a little black girl who lives downstairs who is fascinated by Katelyn, she loves her hair especially. The other day she somehow managed to get a firm grip on her ponytail and while her older brother and I tried to wrestle Katelyn free, he was surprised at how soft her hair was. I’m sure he hasn’t had much contact with white people based on the dynamics of our apartment complex.















I spend my “spare” time trying to finish all the millions of projects started since becoming a mother…. Yeah, that means three years of projects….all to be finished before the baby arrives in two weeks. Currently I am making family home evening lessons, file folder games, and other quite activities for those times when kids are kids and don’t realize that everyone else is sitting quietly. My scrap booking buddy has moved to Texas so that has been put on hold for the time being. In its place I have started blogging. I find myself wondering about some of my parenting choices, like the time I decided to let Katelyn and Dallin use stamps with non-washable ink, or when I try to do any of my various projects while the kids are watching a movie hoping they won’t notice, or the times I have let Dallin run around diaperless after taking a bath... when will I learn?






Cameron has just begun his psychiatry rotation. He has finished OBGYN, ER, and Surgery…which means that so far he has delivered a couple babies, drained a handful of juicy abscesses, and stapled up a lot of incisions this year. What will he be able to add to his list in the next couple months? School takes up most of his day but he still finds time to play with the kids when he is home.





Katelyn turned three last Sunday and is the funniest girl we know. She loves anything remotely related to princesses and refuses to wear anything but dresses. She is getting more imaginative and has very dramatic scenes with her dolls, animals, beads, or anything that she can move around, even our TV connector cord… which unfortunately didn’t survive the experience. She gets very upset when one of her characters is calling for their mommy and I happen to respond. She loves to cook and insists on being involved in any cooking activity happening in the house. Grandma wisely chose a cooking kit as a birthday gift and she gleefully uses it to help mommy in the kitchen.




Dallin is just about the happiest little guy we know. He loves doing anything Katelyn is doing, including dressing up in her new princess clothes and putting on her purple princess high heals… he looks adorable but we should probably invest in some boy dress up clothes so he doesn’t develop a complex. He loves Elmo. He runs around the house saying “Elmo, watch” and in case he thought you didn’t hear him the first time he repeats it over and over getting louder and louder until you say, “Dallin, would you like to watch an Elmo Movie?” at which point he grins up at you with a huge cheeser smile. That’s how he says yes, he hasn’t actually said yes, ever, he just grins. However, he has perfected the word NO. He likes to play hide and seek and he is good, he doesn’t make a peep and he waits patiently until he is discovered which can take a while. So far we haven’t had fear of him hiding anyplace other then the apartment because our door doesn’t stay shut unless it’s locked and there are three flights of stairs that deter him. Last Sunday Dallin went to nursery for the first time. He loved playing with the toys. He was a little bit in shock being around so many other kids who wanted to play with all the toys as well. So far Dallin is the cleaner of the family. Katelyn makes the mess and Dallin cleans it up….ok Dallin loves to make really big messes but he will help clean up unlike certain princesses who think they are too good for cleaning.



As a family we are looking for a van…or three really skinny car seats…Cameron is leaning towards the skinny car seats idea. I am looking for one of those really nice vans with entertainment systems for the kids, automatic door openers and closers, lots of cargo space for strollers, good safety rankings, sound barrier glass, shiatsu massage seats, deodorizing air conditioning, decomposing food under the seats alarm system, conveniently located hand sanitizer dispensers, trash compactor, GPS system…or at least cardinal directions… ok something that has left and right written out, and Katelyn would like it all to be pink. Dallin would like blue but that’s ok because we think that just means a color in general. Unfortunately, due to the lack of pink vans out there, we are probably going to just buy something to cut the sides of the car seats down a bit. We can't afford a van right now so the skinny car seats is looking like the way we will go, or I guess I could just leave one of the children home whenever I want to go out during the day... so many options...

No comments: