I never thought I would be much of a gardener, as a child I remember one of the most dreaded chores was weeding the garden, I was never thrilled about the dirt, bugs or heat which put a damper on the whole gardening thing. . but I'll be honest, now that we have a house and a yard I was pretty excited to finally have a garden, and I get so much joy walking to check on the garden every morning, and every time I can see a noticeable difference in the produce growing there. it's so fun!
we decided to start planting the first week of March while my mom was here helping out after my mastectomy. the kids were thrilled to help plant the seeds and make cute markers for each type of plant.


a month later at Easter our plants were beginning to outgrow their little homes but we didn't have the ground ready to plant yet
While I was away for a weekend with my old roommates Cameron transplanted the rose bushes that were against the back of our house. and that began the process of getting the ground ready for our plants that were quickly outgrowing their little pots.
the hardest part of this was digging up the grass and breaking up the hard soil so it would be ready.
Cameron put lawn clippings over the dirt to keep it from drying out as fast.
The first week of May the plants had grown a considerable amount and our squashish plants even had big yellow flowers. and yes this is the best picture I have of it at this stage and yes Grant insisted on being center of attention in this shot.
by the end of May everything was growing well.
check out those watermelons, up until a week ago we thought that was our cantaloupe plant but then these little guys started appearing, currently there are 5 watermelon growing.
our corn is just about ready to harvest, we planted 18 plants and I think we will get about 18 corn, some have 2 ears but some don't have any, the corn is in one of the more shaded locations so we think that could have been the problem, but the aphids didn't help much either. oh well, we live and learn, we still love our little garden.







5 comments:
I'm so envious and jealous! I wish I could have a big garden! It looks beautiful! Keep up the good work :)
Mel and I got some potted flowers today so we can have something at least...that's the problem with knowing your going to move someday and not knowing when...
This is beautiful! I LOVE IT!
That is just crazy!!! You have done an amazing job with what little space you used.
That is Amazing!!! I have never had a green thumb, but your garden is inspiring. I will have to see if we can get Skyler interested :)
That is so awesome Paul and I are moving into a house this week and we will have a backyard and I am going to start a garden as well. I know nothing about gardening so your post made me feel good that I will have success.
Post a Comment