Sunday, August 21, 2011

sleepless

Tonight is the night before school starts,  the kids are excited, if not a bit apprehensive about what tomorrow will bring, Dallin's not sure how he feels about school happening everyday, he doesn't mind it for a day or two but to have it keep going, until next summer, that's a bit much.
 Katelyn has come out of her bed no less then 3 times to ask me what first grade will be like,  I tried to assure her that it will likely be a lot like kindergarten except she'll do even more fun things and read even bigger book, at which point she burst into tears exclaiming,
 But I"m not so great at reading big books!

 I tried to reassure her that she was one of the best readers in Kindergarten and that her teacher would help her do anything she didn't know how to do.  I remember being awake a lot the night before school started, worrying about many of the same things Katelyn worries about.  
tonight I can't help wishing I could always be there to protect her from the bully and mean girls at school as there are bound to be some.  

last night as Cameron and I were out on a date, I had the most awful thought, What if Katelyn marries someone I don't like.  for a brief moment I thought, maybe we should let her live with us forever, Currently that's her plan.  maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. I'm not sure where that thought came from and Thankfully we have a while before we have to worry about that.   she is such a sweet, wonderful girl, I love her so much,  and I know that I can't be there to always protect her,  she will make mistakes, have her feelings hurt, and she will learn and grow from these experiences, who am I to deprive her of some of life's greatest joys by trying to protect her from life's most difficult challenges,  We are very blessed and I know that Heavenly Father will continue to bless us. These are some of the thoughts running through my head on this   sleepless night.
Meanwhile, Dallin and Grant have been asleep for well over an hour, clearly not all of us have sleeping issues the night before school starts.  I love my sweet little boys, just as I love my sweet little girl. And I know they will have a great year of school... even Grant who will get to be schooled in the loving care of twins... lucky guy.

No comments: