Wednesday, September 17, 2008

a reaction

The nurse calls us back and escorts us to the familiar small green recliner chair. On one side of the chair is an almost comfortable seat for Cameron to sit in, on the other is a rolling stand where they hook the bags of saline solution, Chemo, and other medicine.

The nurse bustles around getting everything ready. As she works she explains,
“This is a type of short term steroid; it will help your body accept the chemo.” She hooks the bag up into my tubing and then holds up a needle, “This is Benadryl, have you even had it in IV form?” I shook my head no. “Sometimes it makes people sleepy, and some people it makes very sleepy”
As she leaves to help another patient it suddenly feels like I have sandbags lying across my entire body. Cameron asks me something and I tried to digest his question and formulate an answer but it was slow going and I finally gave up and closed my eyes.

I’m not sure if I was asleep for 2 minutes or 2 hours or sometime in between, but when I woke, I felt a bit better and the nurse was back explaining to Cameron about the Taxol.
“Some people have a reaction to it. Not the Taxol itself but the solution used to preserve it. It has molecules that are quite large and some people’s bodies have a hard time accepting it. Keep an eye on her; if she has a reaction it will be within the first 5 minutes, push this green ‘hold’ button and it will stop the infusion, then push the call button and I will be here quickly”

She left and Cameron looked over at me and asked if I needed anything. It was still hard to speak so I shook my head and closed my eyes. I noticed my heart fluttering, as I tried to decide if this was normal or not I became aware of my lungs and my chest. They felt heavy and swollen. The swelling sensation moved up into my neck and face. Breathing became difficult. I sat up and tapped Cameron elbow with my foot. He was watching TV and when he turned to look at me he jumped up and pressed the “hold” button on the machine. The nurse was walking passed us to her desk, noticed the commotion and called some people over to help. She had me sit up the rest of the way and breathe deeply. Somehow I was able to comply and appear calm despite the fear tangled up in my stomach. Soon it passed and my body seemed to return to its normal pre-ballooned state. Another nurse called my oncologist and soon I was offered more Benadryl and some other kind of medication. Almost immediately, the sandbags returned full force and I went back to sleep.

We tried the Taxol again at half rate. This turned a 3 hour infusion into a 6 hour infusion. I didn’t have another reaction but I felt pretty drugged up the entire time and slipped in and out of consciousness. We finally got home around 9:30pm.

I never appreciated how well I had it with the 2 hour infusion of Cytoxan and Adriamycin. Cameron and I talked, laughed and planed our lives together. It was nice to have some alone time together despite the actual infusion. The Taxol, or perhaps I should say the Benadryl and Taxol preservative, wiped me out so I’m afraid I wasn’t much company, even with the 4 extra hours of alone time. Hopefully the next one will go smoother. Thankfully I only have 3 more to go.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

You are so amazing! That sounds VERY SCARY!!! I am so impressed with how well you handle everything and your positive attitude. I am glad things are continuing to go well. Keep up the good fight! We all continue to pray for you and think of you and your family often.

cindave said...

that sounds really scary. like you said, you only have 3 more treatments. you've come so far already. hang in there! we love you and are thinking about and praying for you.

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

oh wow! I too am amazed at your positive outlook!! ALL the way through this ordeal! I am sure you have given so much strength to others who are going through similar situations!!
And YEAH!! Only 3 more!!

Maria said...

I hope you are doing better. That sounds scary. I talked to Sonya Yongue from teh New Tampa Ward and she said that the day fo Stake Conferance you were "just glowing" and that you look "so beautiful". Those were her exact words. You are an inspiration Elisabeth! By the way, I love the way you write, everything is full of somemany details that it makes me feel like I was there in the room with you and Cameron. You should become writer. I am serious, you are really good. Take care.

Keira said...

I am so sorry that happened! I hope the next treatment is a lot better. I too am amazed at your constant up-beat attitude and the off-handed way to talk about your difficulties. You are an incredible woman!

Super B said...

how HORRIBLE! I hope it goes better next time...
also, we pray for you and your family everyday!! May this all be over quickly and may you make a speedy recovery.
We love you guys and hope you are taken care of.

PinkiMimi said...

How scary. You attitude impresses me all the time. You are amazing. I love your positive attitude and strength. We keep you in our prayer and are very happy that you only have three more treatments to go.

Jenny said...

So how are you ??? We are ready for an update and you are in our prayers as always! Love you