This past Wednesday they did the "big" ultra sound, That morning I got a call from my OBGYN letting me know that the blood work from my last appointment had come back positive for fifths disease and to be sure and let the doctor who would be doing the ultra sound know so that he could look to see how it had effected the babies, everything should be fine, worse case scenario the babies would need a blood transfusion, but that rarely happens.
So an hour later I casually mention to the ultra sound tech that my doctor wanted me to mention that I tested positive for fifths disease. so she quietly took picture after picture, measuring one thing after another, an hour later everyone cleared out of the room and we waited for the doctor who also happened to be the department head.
He starts explaining about how the fifth's disease has attacked both babies bone marrow and they are highly anemic and struggling to make enough red blood cells. they have enlarged hearts and extra fluid surrounding their organs, their condition is very serious but' it's possible that it will correct itself but if it doesn't it would be fatal. The only thing that can be done is a blood transfusion, they would attempt to give the babies blood by sticking a needle into a vein in each of their umbilical cords. risky on so many levels.
As he's talking more doctors file in, my OBGYN and the other department head. as they come in I become more nervous because I'm starting to understand the seriousness of this situation. and I keep thinking "this isn't right, he's suppose to tell us "congratulations, you're having a boy and a girl and they appear to be healthy and strong." and yet he goes on about blood clots and heart failure, not to mention the lack of red blood cells causing problems with brain development."
After more measurements are taken and options are discussed we decide to wait a few day to see if the babies recover on their own and then proceed with a blood transfusion if we need to at that point. and there is nothing I can do, nothing that I would eat or do would help the babies in anyway with this problem. We find out tomorrow how they are doing and until then I feel completely helpless.
7 comments:
I know that you are such an amazing, strong woman and if anyone can handle this trial it is you! I hope and pray that the Lord will bless you and your babies during this difficult time.
Oh that is SUCH a painful process to wait through and then figure out how to deal with it and what the next step is. YOu are in our prayers...
...and for what it's worth, I happen to know someone else who made it through a pregnancy with fifth's disease...and her 2 year old is now thriving and healthy. TRULY hoping things turn around in that same way! You're an incredible woman!!
Oh my goodness Elisabeth! Tears are rolling down my cheeks right now- what a scary scary thing to feel so helpless!!!!! I wish I could be there to give you a big big hug! You guys have been through so much it just seems unfair. We will keep you in our prayers and pray for those sweet little twins!!!!!
My heart feels heavy for you. I am praying. Best wishes!
wow.... what a blog. im sorry you have to deal with another trial in your life. i know that what ever happens the Lord wouldnt give you anything you and cameron cant handle. i know its not really what you want to hear but Elisabeth you are so strong, in so many ways! I will be praying for you, your family,and the babies. please keep us all updated when you hear. i dont think there isnt anyone that doesnt LOVE you. keep the positive thinking.
Praying for you and your babies--and thinking about you today. I hope you are receiving hopeful news!
Thinking of you and Praying for you!
Post a Comment