Sunday, September 20, 2009

wow it's been a while....

  I keep meaning to update our blog, and I keep not doing it for one reason or another, my best blogging time is late at night while Cameron is on call and I'm waiting until I can't keep my eyes open anymore just so that I can sleep better, otherwise I lay awake in bed wondering if the hospital will be attacked by mad men, or dangerously poisonous man eating pigeons...


So although it's 11pm,  here I am...



I'll start with Cameron, He is experiencing his first year of residency at it's fullest this month, He is working the trauma unit and just incase you are considering envying his schedule I'll tell you his days go as follows


every day he works from 5am to 5pm. every 4 days he goes in at 5am and works through the night getting no rest, returning home at noon the next day completely exhausted, he sleeps as much as he can because the next day he goes in again at 5am and is given the dreaded pager which puts him at the beck and call of the entire trauma staff... ok I could be exaggerating here, I'm not sure what exactly the pager entails, but I know it's dreaded. Then he has a "normal" day before he is back on call again. This repeats itself over and over again, weekends, holidays you name it. He does get an average of 1 day a week off which has been nice. We are excited for this month to be over... to say the least. Otherwise he is doing fine; he is happy and cheerful if not a bit tired.



Katelyn started preschool and LOVES it. She has an amazing teacher and a fun class so I am coming to grips with it. On multiple occasions she has woken up several times during the night coming into our room and asking if it's time to get ready for school yet. I have recently put a clock in her room and insisted that she not wake up until the first number says 6, because my alarm is set for 6:40am and now she wakes up at 6 every morning bouncing into my room insisting that it's time to get ready for school. I have yet to use my alarm.



She has decided that she is big and wanting to look responsible she wore this dress I made her 6 months ago, in 6 months she has never wore it except when I insisted she try it on soon after it was finished, she declared it too uncomfortable and hasn't looked at it until I asked her to pick out an outfit the night before her first day of school. And now 4 weeks into school she has wore it once a week.... funny girl. The boys and I had lunch with her this week and she was thrilled to show us some of her friends and classmates. She started riding the bus 2 days ago it picks her up and drops her off right in front of our house. She is as excited about riding the bus as she was about school starting, I miss the extra time we use to spend together, and find myself looking at the clock waiting for her to come home. She is growing way too fast.




Dallin also misses Katelyn, last week he and Katelyn decided that they were best friends, they’ve always been close but this was a new level. Throughout their time together you could hear them calling to each other, “Dallin come play over here with me because you’re my best friend. Or Katelyn you can have my cookie because you’re my best friend, it was really quite sweet and only lasted a week, but it was a good week.


Dallin started his own preschool this week, I got together with a few moms and organized a co-op preschool where we rotate teaching every week. There are 4 of us and the kids meet at one of our houses on Thursdays and we have a great time going over the basics, I taught yesterday, which was our first meeting and it went well, the kids are ready and eager to learn plus they don’t seem to mind having fun together.




Grant is a funny kid, he loves to cuddle and give me big kisses exclaining loudly “I wve YOU momma.” He ends every sentence with momma,


“watch Elmo’s world momma?”
"fruit snack mamma?"
“I wan dink momma”

He is very sweet but he also has a menacing side that thrills in tormenting Dallin. They generally play very well together but every once in a while Grant gets that look in his eye and he snatches and runs away with whatever treasure Dallin was holding in his hand.

He loves to sing, and will sing along with any song he is familiar with. He also loves dogs and will point out every dog that passes his way.

We are still working on the potty training, it’s coming along, he holds it until I put him on the potty and then he goes, the problem arises when I fail to put him on the potty, he doesn’t seem to mind making a mess on the floor. I have decided to give up numerous times only to change my mind again, just today I could see him making connections so maybe it will click soon. Meanwhile we have stopped buying diapers and our supply is running low



Can you believe hos curly my hair is?  yeah I'm suprised every time I look in the mirror.  you would think that by now I would be use to it.  In case you are wondering curly hair is easier then strightish hair, as long as you let it do what it wants to do, I tried strightening it once... it was a desaster!
I have been busy being a taxi around town, Thankfully it doesn’t take more then 10 minutes to get from one side of our small Texas town to the other, unfortunately Katelyn’s school is 10 minutes away, hence my recent resignation to the bus system. up until this week I usually drove Katelyn to school at 7:30am with everyone dressed and fed then carted Dallin and Grant to the gym by 8am for a workout. Then we would either, Grocery shop, go to playgroup, story time at the library, preschool or music makers depending on the day of the week. And then it was home for lunch and naps only to be rudely awaken and carted back to Katelyn’s school to pick her up and either play at a park or return home to make dinner.


I measured my curly hair last night and was shocked to find that it was 5 inches, 5 whole inches, that seems like a lot, not enough to pull into a ponytail but still… it’s getting there. It’s still not the same color or even close to the same texture before chemo, but hey it’s hair and it’s great to have hair. This is just about what my hair looks like every night, I get tired of not touching my hair and start running my fingers through it. It just gets bigger and bigger. I can see you're jelous and that you are also wondering why I wait until bedtime to play with my hair....  I'll let you go ahead and keep wondering.

10 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

WOw! Your hair is SO curly. It is really cute! Love the fro.

I am so glad Katelynn is enjoying preschool. It sounds like you keep pretty busy! Thanks for the update.

Lori said...

it is good to get an update cuz! your kids are so cute. cameron's schedule sounds less than appealing. hopefully this particular schedule is up soon, so you can ALL sleep!!

and the hair, you DO have curly hair! craziness. that last picture harkens to Grandma Larsen's hair, seriously. that's first thing I thought. maybe that's where the curlys come from?

anyway, good to hear things are going alright. love ya!

Paul and Malinda said...

I am glad to hear you are doing so well. Your hair looks awesome.

Mindy Burns said...

Your kids just keep getting cuter and cuter- your hair is amazing...and RESIDENCY SUCKS! I feel for you!!! I wish you lived closer and we could console each other :) Thanks for keeping us updated!!!!

Amanda said...

I have to comment on the clock issue you mentioned. Kallie used to wake up incredibly early as well. We also put a clock in her room and told her that she couldn't get up until she saw a 7. Now, we have to emphasize that the clock has to say 7, zero, zero. Otherwise, she sees a 7 on the wrong end of the time and thinks it's time to get up. Ahhh, the joys of having kids! :)

P.S. Love your curly hair!

Amy said...

Elisabeth, I love, love, love the curly hair! You rock it.

You look pretty fly with an afro, girl...though I think your cute little curls are adorable!

Carrie said...

It sounds like you guys are doing so well! I LOVE LOVE your new hair! I am so jelous! It was fabulous before, and now it's even more fabulous!

You know we are moving to Texas, probably next month! How far are you from Houston?

Carrie said...

It sounds like you guys are doing so well! I LOVE LOVE your new hair! I am so jelous! It was fabulous before, and now it's even more fabulous!

You know we are moving to Texas, probably next month! How far are you from Houston?

C Mommy said...

I think you could have pulled off Charlie's Angels in the 70's if you really wanted to run your fingers through it during the day!! You guys are missed but, it is so glad to hear you are doing so well!

Jared and Delia said...

Your hair looks so awesome! How fun...you should poof it and make it apart of your halloween costume. So fun!

FYI...
I changed my blog address to:

http://establisheddec2002.blogspot.com/

Why? Long story...don't ask. :)